In this tutorial you can follow the step by step procedure for creating and restoring backups with Nero BackItUp online. With Nero BackItUp you can set up and configure Autobackup to automatically back up files and folders online, using the Internet service Nero Online Backup as a backup location. Once it has been set up, Autobackup is available in the Windows notification area and backs up the folders that you specify in the background in the defined sequence.
Setting up Autobackup is particularly useful when you want to carry out regular backups for the same files and want to have a computer independent access to your data.
In order for Autobackup to be able to carry out the automatic backup process according to your preferences, configure which file types should be automatically backed up in which folders and define the backup target.
Nero Online Backup offers you an online data storage (which is subject to charge). We recommend a broadband Internet connection (e.g. DSL-1000 or faster) for uploading the files to be backed up. The costs for the Internet connection and the costs for using the Internet service Nero Online Backup are the user's responsibility.
The update backup method is used for automatic backups made through Autobackup. In this process, the data from the previous backup is overwritten with the modified data. This means that there are no backup versions, i.e. accessing older backup versions is not possible.
Files that are deleted from a monitored folder are kept in the backup. If you want to delete these files from the backup as well, then use the delete feature, which can be accessed in the Autobackup status screen.
To set up Autobackup, proceed as follows:
- The Additional Tasks area is displayed.
- Click the Automated Online backup entry link in the Create a backup area.
- The Step 1 of 3 Please select your source screen is displayed.
Online Autobackup - Source information
- Specify which file type you want to backup:
- Select the check box in front of the file type you want to include in the backup.
- Clear the check box in front of the file type you want to exclude from the backup.
- Select the Add file type check box at the end of the file type list and enter the file type ending you want to add to the backup.
- Specify which folders you want to monitor with Autobackup:
- Select the check box in front of the folder you want to include in the backup.
- Clear the check box in front of the folder you want to exclude from the backup.
- Select the Additional Folders check box and click the button to add your own folders to the monitoring list.
- If you have not yet subscribed to the Nero Online Backup service or if Autobackup is turned off, the Step 2 of 3 Please create a new account or use an existing login screen is displayed. You can enter your account information here.
- If you already have a login:
- Enter your Subscription ID and your Password in the input fields.
- To keep the login information, select the Remember my password check box.
- If you have not yet subscribed to the Nero Online Backup service:
- Select the I do not have a Nero Online Backup account and want to subscribe now option button.
- The Nero Online Backup - Create new account screen is displayed.
- Choose a backup storage and subscription duration.
- Choose a password for your account.
- Enter an e-mail address.
- Please read the terms and conditions agreement carefully by clicking the Terms & Conditions link. If you agree to the terms of the agreement, select the I have read the Terms & Conditions check box. A subscription is not possible without this agreement.
- The Step 3 of 3 - Autobackup status screen is displayed. You can view your backup status and your subscription information here and also delete files and folders from your storage at Nero Online Backup.
- The first full backup for the folders that you have specified is carried out. You can monitor the progress with the status information in the taskbar. The final screen is displayed. Autobackup has been set up and carries out the backup updates automatically due to the specified settings.
With Nero BackItUp you can restore file backups. The content of the file backup is restored during this process. You can exclude individual files from the restore process or select specific files to be restored.
The first step is to select the backup and maybe backup run. Then to select files and folders for restore.
The next step is to select a path where to restore the backup and to make settings according to your preferences.
To restore a file backup, proceed as follows:
- The Additional Tasks area is displayed.
- Click the Restore backups entry link in the Manage and Restore area.
- The Step 1 of 2 Please select your backup to be restored screen is displayed. The executed backups are displayed in the general job navigation slider.
Select a backup
- Make the backup available.
- The backup was saved to the online storage Nero Online Backup with Autobackup. Click Browse > From Online and enter your Subscription ID and your Password.
- If the backup is encrypted, enter the passwort in the input field provided.
- Select the check box preceding the folder or the file that you want to restore. Select a folder in the left to show the contained files in the right.
- The Step 2 of 2 - Please select your restore options screen is displayed.
- If you want to restore the backup to the original path, select the Restore to original path option button.
- If you want to migrate user specific folders, enable the Migrate user specific folders to current user check box.
Migrate user specific folders to current user refers to user-specific folders such as My Documents which will be restored to path of the user who is currently logged in. If you clear this check box then Nero BackItUp will restore the user-specific folders to the user path under which the backup was saved.
- If you want to specify the path on which the backup will be restored yourself.
- Select the Restore to custom path option button.
- Click the Browse button.
- The Browse For Folder window is opened.
- Select the desired restore path and click the OK button.
- The Browse For Folder window is closed and the selected path is transferred.
- If you want to keep the original directory structure, enable the Preserve original directory structure check box.
Checkbox Include restored Media files into Nero Media Library
Allows to automatically add the target folder you had chosen for backup to the list of the be indexed folders. When media files are added to an indexed folder, you are gained instantly access to it from Nero MediaBrowser or Nero MediaHub.
Only available if Nero MediaHub is installed.
- Use the How to resolve conflicts option buttons to choose the action to take when a file to be restored is already (or is still) on the computer
- If necessary specify additional settings in the Expert Options area.
- The restore is carried out and the final screen is displayed. You can follow the process status in the task bar.
- You have successfully created an online backup and restored your files.