It is important to us that your questions are answered quickly, so we have created a list of frequently asked questions that may be helpful to you. If you are unable to find an answer to your question, feel free to write us and we will respond as quickly as possible. Your feedback will assist us in continually updating this section to better serve you.
Please select the product with which you need help or enter a search query below:
LightScribe technology requires four elements:
- LightScribe enabled CD/DVD recorder
- LightScribe compatible CD/DVD
- Nero 7 or Nero 6 Reloaded (Nero 22.214.171.124 or later version installed)
- LightScribe Host Software must be installed. It can be downloaded here
If the LightScribe function does not work, please check the following settings:
- In Windows, go to -Start -Settings -Control Panel -Administrative Tools -Services -LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service
Right-click on "LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service", choose "Properties", go to "Startup type" and select "Automatic". The display under "Service status" has to be set to "Started".
- In Windows, go to -Start -Settings -Control Panel -Administrative Tools -Local Security Policy -Local Policies -Security Options
Double-click on the entry "Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only". Choose the option "Disabled". Confirm this change by clicking on "Apply” and "OK".
- If you use Windows XP Home, please try the following steps:
Open the "Registry" by clicking on “Start” in Windows, clicking on “Run”, typing in "regedit" into the field "Open" and verifying with "OK".
Select the path
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon"
Doubleclick the entry "allocatecdroms" and check if the value is set to "0". If not, please set it to "0".
Stop and restart the service "LightScribe" in the control panel.
In Windows select -Start -Settings -Control Panel -Administrative Tools -Services
Now the Lightscribe function should be recognized.
Please also change a setting of the Lightscribe service:
Rightclick on the service "Lightscribe", select -Properties -Recovery
Select the option "restart the service" in the field "first failure". The option "restart service after 1 minute" will now be activated. Confirm this setting with "Apply" and "OK".
You may want to download from another system and then bring over to your
system and install.
If you will still experience problems please contact our technical support and provide the following information:
• Send a screenshot which shows the exact error message you get.
• Send the installation log files by using our GetSupportFiles tool.
Download the tool GetSupportFiles and perform the following steps:
Extract the zipped file on your hard drive using WinZip or WinRAR. Start the tool by double-clicking on the EXE-file. Once the tool ran successfully, you will find a file called "NeroSupport.cab" on your desktop. Please attach the file "NeroSupport.cab" to your e-mail.
The following information will be collected in the NeroSupport.cab:
Nero Infotool, Nero log files (including installer log files), Nero Registry Keys, MSInfo, DXDiag
To do this, please proceed as follows:
• Open Nero BackItUp
• Click on Help>Nero on the Web
Now a new window appears.
Please choose "Download BackItUp ImageTool" in that window.
After that a .zip file will be downloaded.
That file contains the folder "BackItUp_ImageTool".
Please repalce the folder "BackItUp_ImageTool" in the directory C:\Programms\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp
with the folder of the .zip file.
Now you can create a new Bootimage with Nero BackItUp. That Bootimage will contain the newest version of the ImageTool.
To do so, proceed as follows:
Click the "Start" button to open the Windows Start menu.
Now click the "Settings""Control Panel""Software" entries.
The "Software" window is displayed.
Select the "Nero BackItUp & Burn" entry and click the "Add/Remove" button.
Note that uninstalling "Nero BackItUp & Burn" will also uninstall all its included applications. These vary depending on the Essentials version but can include:
- Nero BackItUp
- Nero Express
- Nero RescueAgent™
- Nero BurnRights
The uninstall process may take several minutes.
When it is finished reboot your computer.
Now start the installation of "Nero BackItUp & Burn" again.
If the installation file for the trial version of "Nero BackItUp & Burn" is still available you can start the installation right away without downloading another copy of the program.
If it is not available, download and install the latest Nero BackItUp & Burn version from our website.
Save this file to your desktop.
Double-click the downloaded "Nero BackItUp & Burn" installation file to start the installation.
Enter your "Nero BackItUp & Burn" serial number during the installation to turn your "Nero BackItUp & Burn" into a full version.
- Close all open Web browsers
- From the "Start" menu in Windows, select "Control Panel"
- Select "Add/Remove Programs"
- Select "Ask.com Bar"
- Click "Change/Remove"
Uncheck the box "always print LightScribe Label".
executes applications only after explicit user confirmation. This will also effect applications that should run automatically and therefore
can also cause Nero BackItUp Job to wait for an additional user action to confirm the job.
This dialog field is created by Windows Vista and cannot be suppressed by Nero.
To deactivate this request, please proceed as follows:
- Control Panel
- User Accounts
- Turn User Account Control on and off
Now disable the "User Account Control".
After that the job will start automatically.
If you still get a warning message during the installation, please deactivate your virus scanner for the installation process of Nero. Disconnect from the internet prior to deactivating your virus scanner.
- Pop-up and pop-under ads
- Windows that open when you leave a site
- Windows that open after a page loads
- Windows that open when you close your browser
PopSwatter will allow windows that you intentionally click on to open. For example:
- Links that open in new windows
- Pop-ups from any site that you add to your "Safe List". Use the Change Preferences option of the PopSwatter menu to update this list
PopSwatter does not stop:
- Error windows
- Flash or DHTML windows within the browser
- Instant messaging windows
- Windows that open because of software or adware on your computer
Why do I need to enable cookies?
Cookie data lets the Nero Online Shop keep track of the items you want to buy and saves them until you are ready to purchase. In addition cookies allow us to better serve you by recommending similar items as well as help in fraud prevention.
How do I activate cookies?
- Search the Web with Ask.com directly from your browser
- Block annoying pop-ups automatically
- Save pages and searches, and access them from anywhere
- Get Direct Answers to many popular searches like dictionary lookups and stock quotes
The Ask Toolbar is free to download and free to use.
• Network Attached Storage (NAS) – automatic detection of mounted and un-mounted network shares for backup
• Incremental drive backup support – backup only the changed sectors of a drive to save time and space
• Nero Kwik Media Library Backup – integrated access to photo, video and music media assets for backup
• New and improved start screen organizes tasks into intuitive usability categories and frequently needed controls
• Improved job management view can manage a complete job and backup in one view
Instead of updating a complete version, Nero Multimedia Suite 10 allows to load smaller updates for each application available with the Nero 10 Multimedia Suite.
To do so, please proceed with the following steps.
• Start Nero Control Center.
• Click the “Update” tab to display the corresponding screen.
• Click the “Check for Updates” button to display if any updates are available.
• Select the applications you want to update.
• Click the “Update Now” button to begin the download and automatic update.
• The selected applications will now be updated.
Once activated, the scheduler will check new updates related to the applications available with the Nero Multimedia Suite 10 at the set interval.
If an update is available, a small popup window will appear among the task icons and display a notice. Clicking on the “Nero Updater” icon in the taskbar will open the “Update” window in Nero Control Center. You can then decide if you want to install updates.
You can change the schedule for the Autobackup in the following way:
If you want to change the default settings regarding time schedule and folders to be backed up:
Click the “Edit” button in the “Settings” area.
The “Autobackup - Define the settings” screen is displayed.
Select the radio button “Use custom setting for time schedule and backup data option”.
Enter the desired values in the “Time schedule” area. You can always set the values back to the default settings by clicking the “Reset” button.
Select the check boxes in the “Backup data” area for the folders you want to backup.
Click the “” button.
The “Autobackup - Autobackup status” screen is displayed again.
Two methods are available for restoring backed up files with Nero BackItUp.
You can use the previously installed version or any newer version of Nero BackItUp.
Method 1: Files are available as uncompressed files
If you have not used compression to back up files then you can simply copy the files to your hard drive and add them to the folders of your choice.
Method 2: Files are available as compressed files
If the backup was made with compression then open the files by double-clicking the NBI file or any of the available NBA files (this should be sufficient but depends on your initial settings). Backups that consist of several discs have the NBI file located on the last disc of the set; NBA files can be accessed by clicking any NBA file in the set.
After double-clicking the files, Nero BackItUp will open and the restore wizard will start. The wizard will read out the structure of the backup and lead you through the next steps. When necessary you will be asked to insert the next disc of the series or change to the drive which contains the required disc.
To do so, start Nero BackItUp & Burn.
Switch to the job overview screen.
At the bottom you have the option to import and export jobs created with Nero BackItUp.
Browse your system for \"*.nji\" files or load the *.nji\" files you exported previously.
The job will now be imported and available in the job list.
Start Nero BackItUp & Burn.
Subsequently click the entries “Restore” - “Restore Files”.
Click the "Browse" button.
Change the file type to search for to "*.nda, *.dat"
Chose the backup from which you want to restore the files.
The information on the backup will be loaded and shown in the window to the right.
You can now select the files you wish to restore and continue following the wizard.
If the hard drive has been formatted using the same file system as it previously had, there is a high probability to retrieve most of the files.